Ultra juicy chicken thighs are tossed through a flavour PACKED harissa honey sauce and then grilled to perfection for an easy weeknight-friendly meal. It takes less than 25 minutes and can be served in multiple delicious ways.
- 400g/14oz chicken thighs, boneless, skinless and free-range
- 2 tablespoons harissa paste
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Marinate the chicken. Heat your oven to 220C/430F fan and line an oven tray with baking paper (or use a baking dish). Add 2 tablespoons of harissa paste, 2 tablespoons honey, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil and 2 crushed garlic cloves to a mixing bowl. Using a fork or a small whisk, mix them together into a cohesive paste, then add the chicken thighs. Toss them through the marinate so they’re well coated all over.
- Cook the chicken. Transfer the tray into the oven, at cook for 12 minutes. After this time, remove the tray from the oven, and spoon the cooking juices over the top of the chicken. Turn your oven onto broil (grill) and set it to the highest setting (this is 250C/480F for me). Broil for another 5 minutes, until starting to char around the edges and the chicken is cooked through. Either use a probe thermometer in the thickest part of the thigh to ensure the chicken is at least 165F/75C. If you don’t have a probe thermometer, you can cut into the chicken to check – it should look white and the juices that run out when you cut in should be clear, rather than cloudy.
- Garnish and serve. Transfer the chicken to a serving plate, then spoon over the cooking juices. Serve with pomegranate seeds, scallions, mint leaves and dukkah sprinkled on top if you like.
INGREDIENT NOTES: I prefer chicken thighs here, for superior flavour and for the juicy factor, but you can use chicken breasts. Slice the breasts into about three pieces, then toss with the marinade and continue with the recipe. Different brands of harissa have different levels of spice, so taste yours before you use it and if it’s super spicy, you can reduce the quantity to 1 tablespoon. I’m using Belazu Rose Harissa here.
SUBSTITUTIONS: If you can’t find harissa, you could use sriracha, sambal oelek, or another chilli paste (gochujang is also great here!).
STORAGE INSTRUCTIONS: You can marinate the chicken up to 24 hours in advance if you want to get ahead. Once cooked, the chicken will keep well for 4 days, stored in the fridge in a covered container.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS: I love piling the chicken on top of creamy white bean dip or hummus, then serving it with a salad (this green goddess salad is great), and some soft garlic flatbreads. But there is SO MUCH you can do with this chicken. Stuff it into bao buns with a crunchy Asian-style salad, toss through pasta salad or a grain salad, use as the protein in a poke bowl or enjoy it with a spread of salads (this butternut squash salad, broccoli crunch salad or peach and halloumi salad would be great), or serve with crispy roast potatoes, miso sweet potatoes or oven fries.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 17
- Category: meat
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: mediterranean
- Serving Size: 1 chicken thigh
Keywords: grilled spicy chicken, grilled harissa chicken, honey glazed chicken