Turning a party appetizer favourite into lovely little bite-sized jalapeno popper taco cups is a fab, fun twist on regular jalapeno popper dip. Easy to assemble (and you can prep them ahead of time) and even easier to eat, they’re a serious crowd-pleaser, perfect for entertaining.
You’ll need a mini muffin tin for this recipe – I like this tin from Amazon.
- 4 flour tortillas
- 3 slices streaky bacon
- 8oz/225g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup thick Greek yogurt
- 1 cup jarred pickled jalapenos, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed (or 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Oil, for greasing
- Prepare your muffin tin. Heat oven to 400F/200C fan, then grease a mini muffin tin with olive oil.
- Make your mini tortillas. Use a cookie cutter (or the rim of a small glass) to cut out little circles from your tortillas. Chop the leftovers from one of the tortillas into little pieces – you’ll use these as a little crunchy crumb topping on your cups. Don’t throw out the remaining bits of tortillas – they make wonderful homemade tortilla chips. Just toss them with a little olive oil and a pinch of salt, and bake at 400F/200C for 10 minutes or until crispy and golden.
- Prepare the jalapeno popper filling. Cook the bacon until super crispy (about 5 minutes), then transfer it to a large mixing bowl. Add the cream cheese, Greek yogurt, chopped jalapenos (set aside 1 tablespoon to scatter on top of the cups), crushed garlic, paprika, mozzarella, cheddar and salt. Give everything a really good mix, to combine well. Taste, then season with a little more salt if you like.
- Arrange the tortilla cups. Press the little tortilla circles into your greased mini muffin tin, to create little cups. If your tortilla circles tear when you do this, cover them with a kitchen towel and pop them into the microwave for 20 seconds – this will help them to soften up and make it easier to get them into the moulds.
- Fill the tortilla cups. Spoon a heaped teaspoon of the jalapeno popper dip mixture into each tortilla cup – you don’t want to pile them up too high though as the dip may overflow while in the oven. Scatter the set-aside chopped jalapenos on top of each cup, then scatter over the chopped tortilla crumbs. Drizzle with a little olive oil.
- Bake the cups. Transfer the muffin tin to the oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until the tortillas are crispy and golden. Remove from the oven, then carefully remove the taco cups from the tin. Arrange on a serving platter, then serve while hot, crispy and gooey. Serving the cups with garlic aioli, spicy aioli or sweet chilli jam would be a great idea too.
MAKE AHEAD: There are a couple of ways you can get ahead while making this recipe. You can mix the jalapeno popper dip up to 3 days before you want to serve the cups, then just store it in the fridge. You can also cut out your mini tortilla circles days ahead of time (just keep them in a container at room temperature). Or, assemble the cups in the muffin tin, then cover with clingfilm and pop into the fridge overnight. Then the next day you can bake them whenever you’re ready to serve.
STORAGE INSTRUCTIONS: Any leftover cups will keep well for 3 to 4 days in the fridge – the tortilla cups will get soft after the first day, but they’ll still taste great.
INGREDIENT NOTES: These cups are pretty spicy, so reduce the amount of jalapenos to 1/2 a cup if you’re worried. You can always add more if you’d like the dip mixture to be spicier, but it’s a lot harder to take the jalapenos out! Skip the bacon to keep them vegetarian. Regular or light cream cheese is absolutely fine. You could swap the Greek yogurt for sour cream or mayo if you like.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: appetizers
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size: 3 cups
Keywords: jalapeno popper dip