You need just 5 ingredients to make your own everything bagel seasoning. It’s cheaper than buying it from the store, you can control the quantities and it lasts for months. Use it on top of 2 ingredient dough bagels, in everything bagel dip or as a crunchy garnish to just about anything.
If there’s one thing I would always pick up from Trader Joe’s, it was Everything Bagel Seasoning. A gorgeous mix of dried onion, garlic, sesame seeds, poppy seeds and salt, it really is the ultimate seasoning blend that can jazz up any meal.
This recipe is my twist on the original – using a clever hack that means you need fewer ingredients and it tastes JUST as delicious. I like to double (triple, or quadruple!) this recipe to stock myself up whenever I make this, and I highly recommend doing the same. You’ll find you use it all the time when you have it to hand.
My top tip is to buy your ingredients in bulk if you can – often you can find larger packets at health food stores or larger supermarkets.
You just need 5 simple ingredients to make this super flavoursome seasoning blend.
- Sesame seeds. Toast your sesame seeds if possible – you’ll get the best flavour that way. I like to toast them right after I buy a new bag, then store them to use as I need them. Just toast them for a couple of minutes in a dry frying pan or skillet over low heat, watching them constantly and stirring them as they can very easily burn.
- Nigella seeds. I LOVE these as an alternative to both black sesame seeds AND dried minced onion. The seeds have an oniony flavour, and look like the black sesame seeds so you get the best of both worlds.
- Dried minced garlic. You could also use dried garlic flakes, or garlic powder if you can’t find it.
- Flaky sea salt. The texture and size of flaky sea salt (I use Maldon) is best here because it matches the other ingredients.
How to make it
It’s literally as easy as mixing everything together in a bowl. That’s it!
Five ways to use everything bagel seasoning
- Scatter it on top of 2 ingredient dough Greek yogurt bagels to make your own homemade everything bagels.
- Mix it with Greek yogurt, cream cheese and a little lemon juice to make the easiest everything bagel dip.
- Scatter it on top of your favourite salad, for a lovely crunchy hit of flavour. I love it on a grilled chicken Caesar salad, on this roasted butternut squash salad or with a fresh tomato and burrata salad.
- Use it as a garnish on a salmon sushi bowl, chicken poke bowl, salmon sushi bake or maple and miso glazed salmon.
- It’s fab as a topper for loaded toast or bruschetta – try it with roasted tomato and burrata toast or hot honey burrata toast.
Got a question?
You can! This is the traditional ingredient but for some reason, I find it hard to find and love nigella seeds as a two-in-one alternative.
Months, stored in a jar at room temperature.
Like this recipe? Try these easy flavour superchargers next
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear from you! You can leave me a comment below.Print