All the flavours of pizza, without the crust. Gooey cheese, crispy pepperoni, rich pizza sauce and a creamy base make this cheesy pizza dip the ultimate crowd-pleasing party appetizer. A drizzle of sweet chilli jam and a scattering of fresh basil elevates it into something very special.
Let me introduce you to your new go-to party appetizer. This molten, luxurious dip is perfect for feeding a crowd and wonderful for any kind of celebration (it’s also FAB for game-day watch parties). It uses simple ingredients, is quick to prep (you can even assemble it 2 days ahead of time) and takes just 30 minutes from start to finish. Plus, it’s great if you’re following a low-carb or keto diet.
Think of this beauty as a little like fondue – it’s creamy, cheesy and utterly delicious. All you have to do is mix a quick cream cheese base, layer on store-bought pizza sauce (I love Mutti or you could use marinara), top with lots of cheese and pepperoni. A drizzle of sweet chilli jam and a little fresh basil finish things off beautifully.
This dip uses simple, easy-to-find ingredients and you probably have most of them already.
- Cream cheese. Regular or low-fat is fine here – it’s easier to mix with the other ingredients when it’s at room temperature.
- Sour cream (or Greek yogurt). This just adds a little tang that cuts through the richness of the cream cheese, which I prefer, but you could also make this with all cream cheese if you like.
- Cheese. We’ve got mozzarella for the creamy stretch factor, plus cheddar and parmesan for flavour. You could play around with the cheese and go for whatever you prefer. Blue cheese is great too. Pre-grated cheese is fine too.
- Sweet chilli jam. This is DELICIOUS drizzled on top of the dip for a spicy, sweet burst of flavour. Hot honey is also lovely.
- Spinach. This is very much optional because it adds an extra step to the process – you’ll need to quickly sauté the spinach before adding it to the cream cheese mixture, or it’ll release all its water in the oven and make the dip watery.
How to make it
Add your cream cheese, sour cream, garlic, dried thyme, chilli flakes and salt to a bowl and mix well to combine into a smooth sauce.
Spoon it into the base of a small, 20cm/8″ pan or oven-safe dish, then pour over the pizza sauce, top with the cheese mix and finally layer on the pepperoni.
Bake for 25 minutes at 200C/390F, or until the cheese is molten with charred spots and the pizza sauce is bubbling around the outside. You can pop it under your broiler/grill for a couple of minutes at the end too if you like. Drizzle with the sweet chilli jam and fresh basil once it’s out of the oven, then serve while gooey and glorious.
Got a question?
Yes! You can assemble it up to 2 days ahead of when you want to serve it, then just bake it when you’re ready. Once baked, you can store it in the fridge for 5 days, then reheat it in the microwave if there are any leftovers.
Think about your favourite pizza toppings and go from there! Some ideas to get you started:
– Roast ham or bacon and pineapple (I know it’s controversial but I love it).
– ‘Nduja or chorizo, Kalamata olives (or marinated olives) and sundried tomatoes.
– Shredded roast chicken, barbecue sauce and red onions
– Red pepper, artichokes, sauteed mushrooms and red chilli
Like this recipe? Here are more easy appetizers
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear from you! You can leave me a comment below.Print